Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe
A slightly healthier version of chocolate cake. Children especially will love this flavour. Fill the cake with salted caramel ganache, the recipe is available in Katrien’s Mini Cakes Book for an extra decadent grown-up treat.
This recipe makes two 20 cm (8 in.) round cake layers each 5 cm (2 in.) high or one rectangular cake layer of 23 x 30 cm (9 x 12 in.), 5 cm (2 in.) high or two 18 cm (7 in.) square cake layers each 5 cm (2 in.) high or ±36 cupcakes.
450 g (2¼ cups / 1 lb) brown sugar
6 large eggs
450 ml (16 fl oz) vegetable oil
10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla essence
360 g (3 cups / 13 oz) cake flour
80 g (¾ cup / 3 oz) cocoa powder
7.5 ml (1½ tsp) baking powder
7.5 ml (1½ tsp) bicarbonate of soda
450 g (2 cups / 1 lb) mashed bananas
100 g (¾ cup / 3½ oz) chopped pecan nuts (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F) for a conventional oven or 160° C (300° F) for a fan-assisted oven.
2) Line the base and sides of two 18 cm (7 in.) square cake tins with greaseproof paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
3) Assemble your ingredients.
4) Put the brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla essence into a mixing bowl and whisk with an electric beater until all the ingredients are combined.
5) Sift the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together.
6) Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until well combined or whisk with an electric beater if the batter feels too stiff.
7) Stir in the mashed bananas and optional pecan nuts until evenly incorporated.
8) Pour equal amounts of batter into the two lined tins and bake for about 60-70 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
9) Let the cakes cool in the tins, preferably overnight.
10) Turn the cakes out of the tins and tear off the greaseproof paper.
11) Divide each cake into two layers. Sewing thread or dental floss does an excellent job of slicing through the cake neatly.
12) Spread each layer with buttercream icing or ganache filling, stack layers on top of one another and cover the outside of the cake with buttercream icing or ganache coating.
VARIATIONS OF CHOCOLATE BANANA CAKE
These variations are for two 20 cm (8 in.) round cake layers each 5 cm (2 in.) high or one rectangular cake layer of 23 x 30 cm (9 x 12 in.), 5 cm (2 in.) high or two 18 cm (7 in.) square cake layers each 5 cm (2 in.) high or ±36 cupcakes.
Plain Vanilla Banana Cake
Replace the 80 g (¾ cup / 3 oz) cocoa powder with 80 g (⅔ cup / 3 oz) cake flour.
Orange Chocolate Banana Cake
Add the grated zest of an orange to the cake batter.
Coconut Chocolate Banana Cake
Add 80 g (1 cup / 3 oz) shredded or desiccated coconut to the batter with the bananas.
Pineapple Chocolate Banana Cake
Add 100 g (½ cup / 3½ oz) canned, chopped pineapple to the batter with the bananas.
Pour cake batter into ±36 muffin cases and bake in a conventional oven at 180° C (350° F) for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
A filled chocolate banana cake will keep for four days at room temperature or six days in the refrigerator.
It can also be frozen filled or unfilled for up to three months.