Cream Cheese Icing
This is a thick icing, ideal to use as a filling for cakes or to pipe on cupcakes, for an authentic cheesecake flavour add finely grated lemon rind to the mixture.
This recipe makes enough icing to fill and coat a 20cm (8 in.) cake or up to 24 cupcakes.
600 g (4½ cups/1 lb 5¼ oz) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
150 g (⅔ cup/ 5¼ oz) salted butter, softened or at room temperature
250 g (1 cup/ 9 oz) cream cheese, cold from the fridge
A few drops of vanilla essence, lemon extract or grated lemon rind
1) Assemble your ingredients.
2) Beat the sifted icing sugar and butter together on a slow speed with a standing mixer or hand-held electric beater until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3) Add all the cream cheese and mix for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Do not overbeat since this could thin the icing.
4) Add a few drops of vanilla essence, lemon extract or grated lemon rind.
5) If you find the icing too sweet you could add 5 ml (1 tsp) of salt to the icing mixture.
Tip: This icing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or frozen for up to two months. When used as a filling or piped on cupcakes serve within a few hours or keep the cake or cupcakes refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.