Pumpkin and Pineapple Cake
This might sound like a strange flavour but I can assure you that once you have tasted it you will find it strangely comforting and as moist and flavourful as carrot cake.Cream cheese icing really compliments this cake, recipe found HERE.
This recipe makes 2x 20 cm (8 in.) round cake layers or 1x 22.5 x 32.5 cm (9 x 12 in.) rectangular cake layer.
360 g (3 cups/ 12¾ oz) cake flour
10 ml (2 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
15 ml (1 tbsp) cinnamon
5 ml (1 tsp) ginger
5 ml (1 tsp) mixed spice
500 g (2½ cups/ 1lb 2 oz) white sugar
250 ml (1 cup/ 9 fl oz) vegetable oil
4 large eggs
15 ml (1 tbsp) vanilla essence or a few drops of vanilla extract
500 g (2 cups / 1lb 2 oz) pumpkin or butternut squash cooked, pureed and cooled
440 g (15¾ oz) 1 can crushed pineapple and juice
100 g (1 cup / 3½ oz) fine unsweetened desiccated coconut
100 g (½ cup / 3½ oz) chocolate chips, optional (coat the chocolate chips in flour before adding otherwise they will sink to the bottom)
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
2) Prepare 2x 20cm (8 in.) round cake tins with baking paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
3) Assemble your ingredients.
4) Sift the cake flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger together.
5) Beat white sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla essence or extract together until combined.
6) Add the pureed, cooled pumpkin or butternut, can of crushed pineapple and juice and coconut to the egg mixture and beat to combine.
7) Beat the flour mixture into the egg mixture until just combined. If preferred, stir in the optional chocolate chips.
8) Pour the mixture into the 2 lined tins.
9) Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10) If the cakes rise with a slight dome on top, place a clean dishtowel over each cake and press lightly on the domes to flatten them.
11) Cool in the tins preferably overnight.
Tip: This cake will keep for five days at room temperature or seven days in the refrigerator stored in an airtight container.
It can also be frozen filled or unfilled for up to three months.