Red Velvet Cupcakes
These cupcakes are light and buttery; top them with decadent cream cheese frosting, recipe found HERE. Double or triple the recipe for more cupcakes.
This recipe makes 10-12 muffin-sized cupcakes.
115 g (½ cup/4 oz) salted butter, softened or at room temperature
100 g (½ cup/3½ oz) white sugar
1 large egg
120 g (1 cup/4½ oz) cake flour
10 ml (2 tsp) unsweetened cocoa powder
2.5 ml (½ tsp) bicarbonate of soda
2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking powder
80 ml (⅓ cup/3 fl oz) buttermilk
5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence or a few drops of vanilla extract
15 ml (1 tbsp) liquid red food colouring
2.5 ml (½ tsp) white vinegar
1) Preheat the oven to 160ₒC (325ₒ F).
2) Line your muffin tin(s) with paper cases.
3) Assemble your ingredients.
4) Beat the softened butter and sugar with a standing mixer or a hand-held electric beater until light and fluffy.
5) Add the egg and beat until fully incorporated.
6) Sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder together.
7) Mix the buttermilk, vanilla essence, red food colouring and vinegar together.
8) Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture to the butter mixture, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix on a slow speed until all the ingredients are incorporated. Do not over-mix since this can produce chewy cupcakes.
9) Spoon equal amounts of batter in the muffin cases with an ice cream scoop or 60ml (¼ cup) measuring cup.
10) Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
Tip: These cupcakes will keep for four days at room temperature or six days in the refrigerator stored in an airtight container. It can also be frozen for up to three months.
After decorating the cupcakes with cream cheese frosting store them in the refrigerator since the cream cheese frosting cannot be left at room temperature.